Wednesday, April 14, 2010

“Scandals are sure to come; but woe to him by whom they come!" - Luke 17

.
I find the recent report that Cardinal Sodano may have had some conflict of interest in his friendship with Fr. Maciel and the Legion to be terribly sad and disturbing.  Just when I thought these scandals can't bring me down any lower, I happen upon this...
.
"The National Catholic Reporter has published part two of Jason Berry’s report into the Legionaries of Christ, the hugely wealthy Mexican order founded by a paedophile priest which exerted major influence in the Vatican during the reign of John Paul II.
.
The second half of the investigation contains allegations relating to Cardinal Angelo Sodano, former Vatican Secretary of State, which I think will force him to resign as Dean of the College of Cardinals. Sodano is accused by Berry of exerting improper influence on behalf of the Legionaries, who allegedly entered into a professional relationship with the cardinal’s nephew, Andrea Sodano.
.
One sad and grubby detail: Fr Marcial Maciel, founder of the Legionaries and until his death in 2008 revered by them as a saint, apparently took his illegitimate children to meet Pope John Paul and had them photographed with them. The Pope was completely unaware that they were the old man’s children, of course. It’s the sort of high-risk stunt one associates with paedophiles." - Read More at Damian Thompson - the post contains all pertinent links to principal sources.
.
I have come to the conclusion I must stop looking back - in the sense of Lot's wife I mean.  Even if the whole edifice tumbles down, that is, the mountains tumble down into the sea as the psalm says, I need to make myself continually aware (as I was when I first returned to the Church), that the Church is more than the Vatican and its art and architecture, lace and cappa magnas, pomp and ceremonies, etc..  It is the Body of Christ... it is Christ Jesus truly present:  Christ in the Eucharist, the Mother of God, The Holy Father.  I need to return to my early love.
.
"You will not take from me, my God, what you once gave to me in your only Son, Jesus Christ, in whom you gave me all I desire.  Hence I rejoice that if I wait for you, you will not delay.
.
With what procrastination do you wait, since from this very moment you can love God in your heart?
.
Mine are the heavens and mine is the earth.  Mine are the nations, the just are mine, and mine the sinners.  The angels are mine and for me, because Christ is mine and all for me.
.
What do you ask, then, and seek, my soul?  Yours is all of this, and all is for you.  Do not engage yourself in something less, nor pay heed to the crumbs which fall from your Father's table.  Go forth and exult in your Glory!  Hide yourself in it and rejoice, and you will obtain the supplications of your heart." - Prayer Of A Soul Taken With Love.  St. John of the Cross
.
Photo:  Cardinal Sodano

4 comments:

  1. Remember these evil deeds were committed by man not by our church. We have to separate the two right now....the truth will come out my friend then healing will begin and the church can once again take its rightful place for all devouted Catholics. God hates the sin but loves the sinner.......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry: I am so with you; I do understand. And Jesus, in His Holy Church is everything...
    I don't know what went on with Card. Sodano; Maciel was a psychopath, a fraud and a money-hungry bastard...I've been reading the blogs about the truth of what he did and how he faked his way through it all...until the end; Card. Ratzinger/Pope Benedict saw through all the smoke and mirrors; he knew what was going on and did something when he could.
    Maciel was a Judas; his own congregation is slowly, even if not completely, disengaging themselves from his horrid legacy of abuse/fraud/deceit and manipulation (re: Pete Vere's blog, Catholic Light).
    But there is a LONG ways to go for them.
    They may have to eventually become a completely new congregation (and I, personally, hope they do...how can you base yourself upon someone who reportedly, although not absolutely confirmed, rejected final repentance at your death? I mean, this is absolutely satanic, if true...Maciel, reportedly, did not believe in God's forgiveness, at his end...Jesus, mercy!)
    Card. Sodano has a lot for which to account.
    I hope Pope Benedict will "hold his feet to the fire".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernie - thanks, simply put that is what my post here is all about.

    Father thanks for understanding - as you always do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LeoRufus8:44 AM

    "Marcial Maciel"

    Wasn't he a mime that appeared on the Red Skelton Show?

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.